Thursday, November 11, 2010

Game versus University of Barcelona

Wow is all I have to say....i thought European basketball was legitimately sub-par in comparison to the United States. In some aspects perhaps this may true, but definitely not in every. In our loss to the University of Barcelona yesterday 69-41, I witnessed the reality of European shooting. Here, players are fundamental and run offense all the way through.

I started my first game for Pomeu Fabra at the 3 position because our best player was ill and could not play. He was also our biggest offensive weapon, so i knew I needed to step it up. Within the first 3 minutes of play, I had 6 points. 2 ten footers, and a back door cut lay up. My coach was beyond ecstatic with me...out of the corner of my eye I saw this little 5'3 Spanish man jumping up and down yelling, "Yeuff, Yeuff" (Translation="Jeff!, Jeff").  Little did he know playing up in a 2-3 zone on defense, lined up against their best player who plays in the ACB (the national league), would cause me fatigue....the 6'5 shooter pulled up from way beyond the arc...way beyond. Continuing my scoring run was almost impossible having to spring back on defense.

I believe the team as a whole shot an efficient 60% from 3-point range. It was absurd. Every bucket went in....Before the end of the half, I had a break away lay up to but put my pt total up to 8 points that game. At this point though, we were not out of it. The difference in score had been as large as 15, but our second line did a great job at coming back and cutting it to three. The half ended and it was a 5 point game.

The third quarter started and they legitimately blew us out of the water. It felt as if they kicked into another gear. I hit a deep three in the last fourth quarter to make myself look good, breaking into double digits for an 11 point finish.

We play our final game of the season next thursday away against another team in Catalunia. If we beat them, then we play the next winner from their bracket, but if we lose, "ya está" as the Spanish people here say....(thats it).

Heres a picture of my buddy Julian and I, the only two Americans on the team.

Despite the poor quality...here´s a pic of University of Barcelon´s team...

Their best players are also currently sitting on the bench...

No comments:

Post a Comment