Thursday, November 18, 2010

UPF versus UDL

Just got back from a two hour bus ride to the western part of Catalunia. The team was legitimately awful. We won by 30 points....I think the final score was around 102-68. I had 13 points with one three pointer. Our two best players each scored 30 a piece and they made it look easy.

Their stadium was actually pretty cool. It holds about 1,000 for the club team.




My friend Uri and I. He plays the point...quick, agile, controls the ball well and has a nice shot. I'd say he is just under 6 feet....back up point guard.

Julian on the right is the other American on the team. He plays a decent amount....I'd say around 6'3, controls the ball well, not a good shot, can't post but sneakily finds ways to drop two or three buckets a game.
 Me in action...lookin good
 Me and our best player. He's about 6'2, lightning quick, amazing shot, great passer, and handles the ball very well under pressure. He played on the same team as Ricky Rubio up until two or three years ago. I believe he's in the 3rd or 4th club league....4 leagues below the ACB (Spain's NBA). One of the most talented players I've seen in the league. He dropped 30 plus today.
 URi and I on the bus
 Small actiona shot. They were awful...like really bad. I'd compare their team to a poor team in FAA or Ivy league in Alex and my high school leagues.

Today was awesome though because got to skip class for a justified absence, and they paid for our lunch. the team request: McDonalds.

If we win our next game in two weekends, we advance to the championship of Catalunya....only the top 4 teams out of 8 go to nationals. Unfortunately, I won't be here because it takes place in January, but hopefully they'll do well granted we win next week. They regionals take place in Gerona and the school pays for a trip there just an hour north of Barcelona.


I'm learning a lot new vocabulary from hanging around the guys.....and I'm also picking up on some Catalan, but I'd say I could understood maybe 20% of their conversations.

Only 30 days today left until the end of the semester. Ill keep up with some new blog stuff this week.

Uncle Jimmy is here on a business trip so I'm taking him out tonight for some good food and perhaps a bar after....let me restate that. Jimmy is taking me out financially. We went to this place two nights ago called "La Cervesería Catalana" and it was sooo good. Perhaps, my favorite restaurant in Barcelona. People say they make the best tappas. We sipped on sangria and talked to the couple next to us from Holland, currently living in France. Hearing about their lifestyle was interesting in comparison to ours. They do a lot of traveling and "tienen ganas" (have desires) to live in California next year.

Until next time, Adieu (catalan's "adios")

No comments:

Post a Comment